CUSTOM SADDLE SHIM KITS
If you've sanded your saddle too low, removed an unwanted UST pickup, or simply want to raise the action at the saddle, it must be shimmed to the desired position, or the saddle must be replaced with a taller one.
- Shimming your saddle with cardboard, old credit card pieces, guitar strings, plastic strips or any other interesting materials is simply not the way to do it correctly.
- Using ebony shims, correctly attached to the bottom of the saddle is the most time-honored method of doing it right, and doing it permanently.
- An instrument with a properly shimmed saddle will suffer NO tonal loss as compared with replacing the saddle.
- Anything less, and you're sacrificing tone and in some cases the integrity of the instrument.
Properly shimmed saddle, raised .060", ready for re-installation
WHAT THIS KIT CONTAINS:
- (4) ebony strips (.080" x .100" x 3.5" )
- (4) ebony strips (.080" x .125" x 3.5" )
- (1) ebony strip (.080" x .100" x 4.5" ) (for Martin Long Saddles)
- Super Glue & Safety razor
- Full instruction sheet.
WHAT THIS KIT DOES:
- It will allow you to easily make shims for a large number of saddles.
- It will save you the expense of replacing a large number of saddles, particularly if the current saddle works well and is only deficient in height. It also provides convenient, pre-cut shims which can be difficult to find and time consuming to make..
I started making these kits because I'm continually surprised by the shim materials I dig out of saddle slots. You don't need to have access to fancy tools, or buy large quantities of wood for just a few shims to do this with the same craft as all the top luthiers and techs.
Cutting your credit cards up is a good thing. However, after doing so....don't make your saddle taller with the leftovers. Get a kit and do it right!
As always, please inquire if you have any questions!
Ebony saddle shim strips
INDIVIDUAL SADDLE SHIMS
(1/8" or 3/32")